Kevin Holt is a partner specializing in commercial, employment, ERISA, and intellectual property litigation. Kevin represents companies and individuals in business and contract disputes, including complex financial and real estate matters. His employment practice focuses on representing companies in diverse matters including non-competition agreements and retaliation claims. He represents employers, insurance carriers and plan fiduciaries in defending ERISA claims involving life, health, accident and disability benefits. He also represents clients with cases involving intellectual property rights. Kevin’s practice is primarily focused in Federal Court. He was named to 2016 Best Lawyers in America in Commercial Litigation.
US presidents met
Daughters’ sports teams coached
University of Virginia degrees
Had you chosen a career other than law, what might you be doing today?
I am a history buff and Anglophile, so if I had pursued a different path early on, I would have been a history professor. Now if I were to begin a new career, I would be a travel consultant, creating great experiences for people.
Do you have a bucket list?
I do. I have two daughters. Most importantly, I want to raise two strong and confident women, walk them down the aisle, have them go experience life and then come back to settle close to home. Travel-wise, my list includes an African safari, a trip to Iceland, and riding the Trans-Siberian Railway 6,000 miles across Russia—from Moscow to Vladivostok.
I hear you are a beer connoisseur. What’s your favorite beer right now?
Hacker Pschorr from a brewery in Munich.
- University of Virginia, B.A. 1993
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D. 1997
- Obtained defense verdict in Federal Court for manufacturer in $1.2 million products liability and UCC case involving alleged defects in natural gas pipeline
- Obtained preliminary injunction in Federal Court for telecommunications tower company to prevent landowners from blocking access to leased tower site
- Granted demurrer in State Court, without leave for plaintiff to amend, in malicious prosecution and defamation case
- Obtained defense verdict in State Court for manufacturer of plastics products in case involving claims of negligence and nuisance arising from fire at manufacturer’s storage facility
- Successfully tried case on behalf of sports event promoter in State Court case involving claims of breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty
- Obtained $700,000 judgment for window film manufacturer in trademark infringement case in Federal Court
- Successfully tried commercial lease case involving restitution of overpayment of tenant improvement loan
- Obtained $1.9 million judgment for property owner in construction case against general contractor
- Obtained summary judgment in the amount of $900,000 for plaintiff equipment supplier in pipeline construction case against general contractor in Federal Court
- Obtained summary judgment for leading national bank in breach of employment agreement case brought by terminated mortgage broker executive
- Granted demurrer in State Court, without leave to amend, in tortious interference with contract and business conspiracy case
- Obtained summary judgment in State Court striking down non-competition agreement as overbroad and unenforceable
- Obtained numerous judgments against debtors in collection cases for large national bank
- Successfully tried real estate partition suit
- Obtained judgment and award of enhanced penalty and attorney’s fees in Virginia Consumer Protection Act case
- Defend leading national disability insurance carriers in ERISA cases in multiple states
- Experience in trademark, copyright, and patent infringement cases
- Defend debt collectors and creditors in Fair Debt Collection Practices Act cases
- Law Clerk to Judge James H. Michael, United States District Court, Western District of Virginia
- Roanoke Bar Association: President-Elect (2016-2017); Secretary/Treasurer (2015-2016); Board Member (2009-2011, 2014-2015)
- Board Member, United Way of the Roanoke Valley (2009-2015)
- Ferrum College Business Advisory Board (2014-Present)
- Member, The Ted Dalton American Inn of Court (2007-2014)
- Graduate, National Trial Advocacy College of University of Virginia School of Law (2006)
- Former Editor, “Litigation News,” published by Litigation Section, Virginia State Bar
- Law Clerk to the Honorable James H. Michael, Jr., Senior United States District Judge, Western District of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia
- Member, Virginia State Bar, The Virginia Bar Association, Roanoke Bar Association, and the Federal Bar Association
- Recognized with Best Lawyers in America for Commercial Litigation (2012-2016), also listed in Best Lawyers in America – Business Edition (2016)
- Named a “Legal Eagle” for Commercial Litigation by Virginia Living magazine (2012)
- Named a Top Rated Lawyer for Commercial Litigation by American Lawyer Media (2013)
- Named to Virginia Super Lawyers for Business Litigation (2009); Virginia Super Lawyers Rising Stars (2007)
- “Largest Defense Verdicts in Virginia” Award (2004) as recognized by Virginia Lawyers Weekly
- Co-author, A “Day” is a Day Again: Proposed New Rule 6 and Other Important Changes to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, VSB Litigation News, Volume XIV, No. III (Fall 2009).
- Virginia Supreme Court Decides New Case Concerning the Dead Man’s Statute,” VSB Litigation News, Volume XV Number III (Fall 2010).
Case StudiesThe results of client matters depend on a variety of factors unique to each matter. Past successes do not predict or guarantee future successes.
- Oct 27, 2015 — Creditor's Contested Proof of Claim Allowed in Full
- Mar 20, 2009 — Motion to Dismiss Granted in Defamation and Malicious Prosecution Case
Fourteen Gentry Locke Attorneys Named to “Best Lawyers in America Business Edition/Winter 2016” by Best LawyersNews
Creditor's Contested Proof of Claim Allowed in Full The results of client matters depend on a variety of factors unique to each matter. Past successes do not predict or guarantee future successes.Case Studies
Twenty-two Attorneys named to 2014 Best Lawyers in America list; Firm Ranked in Tier 1 for Best Law FirmsNews
Motion to Dismiss Granted in Defamation and Malicious Prosecution Case The results of client matters depend on a variety of factors unique to each matter. Past successes do not predict or guarantee future successes.Case Studies