Greg Haley focuses his practice on commercial litigation and disputes involving local government. Greg has extensive experience in disputes involving contract claims, UCC issues, and corporate governance. Greg represents local government attorneys and businesses in all matters involving local government law.
Greg brings an exceptional level of skill, intensity, engagement, and innovative thinking to his work. He believes the best results can be achieved by extra effort, leveraging expertise, early and accurate case evaluations, accessibility, and good communication. Greg analyzes legal matters not just as a lawyer, but also based on what the client needs as a business or local government solution.
Clever bio dials
I'm a minimalist.
- College of William and Mary, J.D. 1984
- Hampden-Sydney College, B.A. cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, 1981
Greg has tried cases to verdict or decision with favorable outcomes involving contract disputes including UCC issues, property management, land development, employment, tax disputes, zoning and subdivision matters, civil rights claims, government contracting and procurement disputes, construction disputes, professional malpractice and liability claims, and noncompetition and non-solicitation agreements.
- Represented manufacturers of industrial equipment in litigation matters involving breach of contract, payment, claimed defect issues, and Uniform Commercial Code issues
- Represented equipment manufacturers in defending claims involving alleged defects in design, manufacturing, and installation of industrial equipment
- Represented seller in dispute under an asset purchase agreement involving post-closing adjustments and environmental indemnification claims
- Represented bank in litigation involving lender liability claims of bad faith loan administration and improper foreclosure
- Represented bank in litigation involving a check-kiting scheme
- Represented bank in litigation involving an intercreditor dispute
- Represented tax consulting client in accounting malpractice claim against an international accounting firm
- Represented seller in the enforcement of a real estate purchase and sale contract to require buyer to specifically perform the contract involving large parcel for planned waterfront development
- Represented seller of airplanes in specific performance and breach of contract claims against buyer
- Represented numerous employers in enforcement of noncompetition agreements, customer nonsolicitation agreements, and nondisclosure agreements
- Represented shareholders in corporate governance disputes
- Represented corporate management in shareholder derivative claims litigation
- Represented several engineering firms in professional liability claims
- Represented several entities, including a community hospital and large manufacturing company, in real estate and other tax disputes with local governments
- Represented general contractors in defense of extra work claims by subcontractors in construction projects
- Represented owners of property in construction disputes with general contractors
- Represented owners of property in condemnation proceedings involving commercial and agricultural properties
- Represented owner in litigation involving the termination of a general construction contract
- Represented a variety of manufacturers in developing and implementing contract formation practices and managing transaction risk through use of favorable terms of sale
- Represented shareholders in sale of stock in large manufacturing company
- Represented buyer in asset purchase transaction involving an animation technology service company
- Represented sellers in real estate transactions involving significant development properties and convenience stores
- Represented European equipment manufacturer in establishing United States operations including the formation of a U.S. subsidiary, establishing business and contract formation practices, and other related matters
- Represented parties in contract manufacturing, cooperative licensing and marketing agreements involving custom industrial equipment
- Represented manufacturer in the sale of a product line and related intellectual property rights
- Represented manufacturers in the development of international sales and marketing agreements
- Represented numerous local governments in litigation matters involving zoning, subdivision, utility extensions, public contracting and procurement, contract disputes, construction disputes, condemnation proceedings, and personnel matters
- Represented real estate development companies in numerous matters involving land use regulations and citizen challenges to development approvals by local governments
- Represented local governments in matters involving municipal boundary changes and interlocal revenue sharing and land use regulation agreements
- Represented local governments in land use litigation matters involving shopping centers, subdivisions, zoning appeals, utility extensions, vested rights, nonconforming uses, conditional use permits, economic development agreements and incentives, downzonings, code enforcement, wind energy facilities, intensive livestock operations and other matters
- Significant appellate experience before the Supreme Court of Virginia in commercial disputes and local government matters
- Member, Professionalism Faculty, Virginia State Bar (2002-2005); Virginia State Bar Law School Professionalism Faculty (2003-2006)
- Chairman, Litigation Section, Virginia State Bar (2009-2010); Member, Board of Governors (2004-2012); Secretary (2007)
- Member, Construction Law Section, Virginia State Bar
- Former Chairman and Member, Local Government Law Section, Virginia State Bar
- Former Member, Board of Governors, Environmental Law Section, Virginia State Bar
- Adjunct Professor, Land Use Law, Masters of Urban & Regional Planning Program, Virginia Polytechnical Institute and State University (2006)
- Local Government Attorneys of Virginia
- Member, Program Committee, Roanoke Bar Association (2001-2003)
- Named one of the Best Lawyers in America® for Municipal Litigation (2007-2016), Commercial Litigation (2008-2016), Eminent Domain and Condemnation Law, Government Relations, and Land Use and Zoning Litigation (2011-2016), and in the Best Lawyers in America Business Edition (2016)
- Distinguished Service Award (1988) and Meritorious Service Award (1989), Office of the Attorney General of Virginia
- Elected a 2009 Top Attorney: Local Government by Roanoke-area attorneys surveyed by the Roanoker Magazine
- Named to Virginia Super Lawyers in the area of Business Litigation (2008, 2010-2016), included in Super Lawyers Corporate Counsel edition (2010) and Super Lawyers Business Edition US in the area of Business Litigation (2012-2014)
- Named a “Legal Eagle” for Commercial Litigation, Eminent Domain & Condemnation Law, Government Relations Practice, and Litigation – Land Use & Zoning by Virginia Living magazine (2012)
- Designated as one of Virginia’s Legal Elite by Virginia Business magazine in the Legislative/Regulatory field (2003, 2004, 2012) and Real Estate/Land Use (2007, 2010 & 2014)
- Co-author, Assessing the Assessor: Practical Points for Defending a Real Estate Tax Assessment Case; Journal of Local Government Law, Vol. XXIV, No. 3 (Winter 2014).
- You Can’t Fight City Hall – So Here’s How to Get What You Want Without the Fight; Gentry Locke Seminar (September 2014).
- Co-author, Trying and Defending Breach of Contract Cases: Ten Recurring Themes and Techniques in Defending Breach of Contract Cases; Virginia CLE. Advanced Business Litigation Institute, (June 2014).
- Twelve Ways for Local Governments to Stay Out of Trouble in Contract Matters; 16th Annual Governmental Conference, Brown Edwards (January 2013).
- Co-author, How to Obtain Preliminary and Permanent Injunctions and Temporary Restraining Orders; Gentry Locke Seminar, (September 2012).
- Co-author, Managing Your Land Use Regulations to Avoid Vested Rights Problems and Other Unforeseen Circumstances; Local Government Attorneys Association (June 2011).
- Co-author, A Sign of the Times: Billboard Valuations and Ownership Issues in Eminent Domain Proceedings; CLE International Annual Conference, Eminent Domain (April 2011).
- Co-author, Assessing Business License Taxes on Contractors; Virginia Association of Local Tax Auditors (August 2010).
- Co-author, Winning Your Locality’s Zoning Litigation Before the Lawsuit Ever Gets Filed (or Afterwards); Local Government Attorneys Association Regional Seminar (June 2010).
- Co-author, Winning Zoning Litigation Before the Lawsuit is Filed: Measuring Success by Things that Do Not Happen; Journal of Local Government Law, Vol. XXIII, No. 3 (Winter 2013).
- Co-author, Caught Between a Rock and a Hard Place: Modifying Local Government Contracts Without Violating the VPPA – A Cautionary Tale; Journal of Local Government Law (Vol. XXI No. 1, Summer 2010).
- Co-author, Addressing and Correcting Zoning Administrator and Staff Mistakes; Virginia Association of Zoning Officials (September 2009).
- Special Topics in Site Plan Review; Virginia Association of Zoning Officials Annual Conference (September 2009).
- Local Government Land Use Concerns and the Right to Farm Act; Virginia Association of Zoning Officials Annual Conference (September 2009).
- Vested Rights and Nonconforming Uses. Virginia Association of Zoning Officials. Annual Conference. (September 2009).
- Co-author, Taking Your Practice to the Next Level: The Ethics of Building Your Practice and Establishing Your Reputation; Virginia State Bar Young Lawyers Conference Professional Development Conference (September 2009).
- Co-author, From Courtroom to Conference Room, Reflections of Mediation; 57 Virginia Lawyer 28 (February 2009).
- Co-author, Materials. The Bermuda Triangle of New Litigation Pitfalls: Sanctions, Waivers, and Pleadings; Virginia State Bar Annual Meeting. Litigation Section (June 2008).Co-author, Survey of Recent Cases; Local Government Attorneys Association (October 2006).
- Conducting the Deposition of an Expert Witness; Gentry Locke Rakes & Moore, LLP (January 2007).
- Ten Lessons Learned From a Year of Local Government Litigation, Survey of Significant Recent Cases; Local Government Attorneys Conference (October 2006).
- In Search of Whales Not Minnows: Casting the Noncompete Net After Omniplex; Gregory J. Haley and Scott C. Ford; 54 Virginia Lawyer 28 (February 2006).
- The Life Cycle of a Professional Malpractice Case; Gentry Locke Rakes & Moore (March 2005).
- It’s the Sneaking Around that Gets You in Trouble: The Key to Unlocking Fiduciary Duty Litigation Claims; 53 Virginia Lawyer 39 (December 2004).
- Virginia State Bar Professionalism Course for Law Students; Washington & Lee University School of Law (2004 – 2006).
- Section 1983 Local Government Liability: An Overview and General Principles ; Virginia CLE/Virginia Law Foundation (2004).
- Practical Issues in Responding to Procurement Protests; Virginia CLE/Virginia Law Foundation (2004).
- Ten Ways to Stay Out of Trouble When Serving as an Expert in Litigation; Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants (Oct. 2004).
- Ten or More Ways to Stay Out of Trouble; Virginia Certified Planning Association and Zoning Conference (Oct. 2004).
- Contractor Claims on Public Projects; Qui Tam Comes to Virginia: The Virginia Fraud Against Taxpayers Act; Practical Issues Regarding Procurement Protests; Gregory J. Haley and J. Barrett Lucy; Public Contracts and Competitive Bidding in Virginia (Aug. 2004).
- How to Obtain and Maintain Clients: The Lawyer’s Role as a Business Person and Counselor at Law ; Virginia State Bar Professionalism Course (Fall 2004, 2003, 2002)
- Ten or More Ways to Stay out of Trouble; Virginia Association of Zoning Officials (January, 2002).
- Managing Risk to Promote Effective Emergency Response Efforts; Legal Issues Related to a Local Government Response to Natural Disasters and Emergency Situations; Virginia Emergency Management Conference, Virginia Emergency Management Association, Virginia Department of Emergency Management; (Williamsburg, March, 2002).
- Managing Ethical Issues & Practical Problems in Local Government Representation; Local Government Attorneys of Virginia, Abingdon (August, 2002).
- Taking the Heat: Practical Issues in Responding to Procurement Protests; Journal of Local Government Law (Fall, 2002).
- The World Can Change in the Blink of an Eye: Local Government Response to Natural Disasters; Local Government Attorneys of Virginia, Roanoke (September, 2001).
- Eye of Toad, Tail of Newt, Stirring the Soup of Creative Lawyering; Gentry Locke Rakes & Moore (March, 2000).
- Moneta Building Supply: Building an Addition to the Virginia Corporate Governance Rules; Litigation News, Virginia State Bar (Spring, 2000).
- Ten Ways to Stay Out of Trouble; The Legal Foundations of Planning; Virginia Certified Planning Commissioner’s Program (June, 2000).
- Section 1983 Local Government Liability; (W. David Paxton & Gregory J. Haley); Virginia CLE, Virginia Law Foundation (May, 1999).
- A Lawyer’s Guide to Nonverbal Communication; Gentry Locke Rakes & Moore (October, 1999).
- What a Tangled Web We Weave; Sovereign Immunity and Special Purpose Authorities; (Gregory J. Haley and Lori D. Thompson); Journal of Local Government Law (1998).
- Contract Drafting: An Eye to Litigation to Avoid Litigation; Gentry Locke Rakes & Moore (May, 1998).
- Annual Survey of State and Federal Litigation: Recent Developments: Constitutional Law and Freedom of Association; Local Government Attorneys of Virginia (October, 1998).
- Trips, Traps & Tumbles: Eight Points to Consider in Settling Cases; Virginia Lawyer (October, 1997).
- The Troubled Business Transaction: A Tragic Comedy in Three Acts; Gentry Locke Rakes & Moore (May, 1997).
- Lender Liability Issues Resolved; Gentry Locke Rakes & Moore (May, 1996).
- The Duty, The Client, The Privilege; The Local Government Attorney and the Virginia Attorney-Client Privilege; Local Government Attorneys of Virginia (April, 1995).
- Confidentiality of Law Enforcement Records; Virginia Association of Chiefs of Police; Executive Development Program; Radford University (June, 1995).
- Update on Local Land Use and Development; Local Government Law Section, Virginia State Bar (June, 1995).
- From There to Here to Where: Developments in Virginia Land Use Law; Journal of Local Government Law (November, 1995).
- Protected First Amendment Rights of Government Employees; (W. David Paxton & Gregory J. Haley); Local Government Attorneys of Virginia, Blacksburg, Virginia (April, 1994).
- Procedural Due Process and Government Employment; (W. David Paxton & Gregory J. Haley); Local Government Attorneys of Virginia, Blacksburg, Virginia (April, 1994).
- Qualified Immunity: Issues in Federal Civil Rights Litigation Involving Government Employees; (W. David Paxton & Gregory J. Haley); Local Government Attorneys of Virginia, Blacksburg, Virginia (April, 1994).
- The Judging of Judges: The Defense of Proceedings Initiated By the Judicial Inquiry and Review Commission; (William R. Rakes & Gregory J. Haley); Judicial Conference of Virginia (May, 1994).
- Annual Survey of State and Federal Litigation; Constitutional Law and Freedom of Association; Local Government Attorneys of Virginia (September, 1994).
Twenty-two Attorneys named to 2014 Best Lawyers in America list; Firm Ranked in Tier 1 for Best Law FirmsNews
Winning Zoning Litigation Before the Lawsuit is Filed: Measuring Success by Things that Do Not HappenArticles