Employers have a special and important obligation to provide a safe working environment for their employees, and protect the health of those who come to their facilities. Additionally, there is an obligation to protect workers against outbreaks of diseases, such as avian flu, while still operating and meeting deadlines during such an outbreak. Developing effective policies and procedures are essential, and planning is key. OSHA, the U.S. Department of Labor, Virginia Department of Labor & Industry, the U.S. Center for Disease Control (CDC), and the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality are active in this area.
Beyond consulting advice, we have significant experience defending manufacturing and construction companies in death cases and other situations where the company is cited with serious repeat and/or egregious violations.
We provide the following workplace safety services for our clients:
- Consulting services to assist with developing effective policies and procedures designed to provide better workplace safety management and reduce work-related injuries, including “right to know” issues
- Consulting services to assist with construction safety management
- On-site investigation and assessment services should a fatality or incident occur
- Consulting and legal assistance during OSHA inspections and investigations
- Representation of management in VOSH and OSHA administration hearings
- Negotiating resolution with OSHA of proposed findings and penalties
- Litigation of OSHA citations and violations (State and Federal)